This recipe was demonstrated on May 31, 2008, as part of CUESA's Market to Table programs.
2 cups pitted fresh cherries
1/2 cup agave syrup
2 limes, zested and juiced
3 CO2 cartridges
1 CO2 canister
8 ounces water (or 8 ounces seltzer water if you do not have a CO2 canister)
Mint and rum (optional)
For the carbonated cherries
- Pit cherries and cut in half.
- Place all cherries in a CO2 canister and inject three cartridges. Place in fridge and store overnight.
- Just before serving, press handle and (VERY IMPORTANT) diffuse CO2 before opening canister and serve immediately. They will stay carbonated for about 30 minutes.
For the juice
- Place cherries, agave, lime zest and water in blender and blend until incorporated, about 20 seconds. If using seltzer do not add to blender.
- Place through a fine mesh strainer if you want smooth juice, or keep the cherry pulp if you would like. If using seltzer, now is the time to add it to the juice.
- Pour over ice and enjoy.