Baked Pesto Zucchini with Squash Blossoms
Source: This recipe comes from Anne Gingrass of Brix Restaurant.
This was demonstrated at CUESA's Market to Table Program on June 18, 2010.
2 pounds zucchini
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
⅓ cup pine nuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing zucchini
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan-Reggiano
Salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
6 squash blossoms
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup flour
¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Thinly slice zucchini length-wise and place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush with olive oil and bake for 5 minutes.
- In food processor combine basil, pine nuts, and garlic. Slowly add olive oil in a constant stream while food processor is on. Add ½ cup cheese and pulse until all blended together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread pesto on top of each zucchini slice and top with the rest of the cheese. Stack the zucchini slices so that the full zucchini is back intact. Put back in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, coat the squash blossoms with the beaten egg and then coat in the flour. Heat a skillet with ¼ cup olive oil and pan fry the blossoms until crispy, turning once.
- To serve, slice cooled zucchini stack in half. Arrange on plate with a fried blossom. Serve.