Lemon Oatmeal and Walnut Crisps
Source: Jen Musty, Batter Bakery
This recipe was demonstrated for CUESA's Market to Table program on March 2, 2013.
Yields approximately 6 dozen mini cookies
1½ cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
1½ cups firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2½ cups all-purpose flour
2 cups rolled oats
4 tablespoons oat bran
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugars, zest, lemon juice, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, oats, bran, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add it to the butter mixture in two additions, mixing until barely combined.
4. Add the walnuts, mixing until combined.
5. Scoop the dough with a very small scoop onto parchment-lined sheet trays, spacing the cookies 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until golden and crisp. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan completely before removing. These make perfect ice cream sandwich cookies!