Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company | CUESA

Ferry Plaza Farmers Market »

OPEN! Sat 8am–2pm | Tue & Thu 10am–2pm

Mission Community Market »

Returns March 17, 2022

Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company

Courtesy of Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company


Cheese ·




25 full-time employees, including the Giacomini family, who own and manage the company. Kuba Hemmerling is the Head Cheese Maker.


720 acres in Point Reyes, about 50 miles from the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market.

Farm History

Bob began milking cows on his Point Reyes dairy in 1959. Over the years, Bob, and his wife, Dean, together with their four daughters, Karen, Diana, Lynn, and Jill, developed a shared vision of bringing a value-added farmstead product directly from their ranch to the consumer’s table. This dream was realized in August 2000 when they founded Point Reyes Farmstead Cheese Company and produced the first vat of Original Blue. In recent years the product line has expanded with Toma, Fresh Mozzarella, and Bay Blue.

All cheese made by Point Reyes Farmstead is certified gluten-free, all-natural, made only with the milk from the Giacomini’s farm. The Giacomini Dairy is protected from future development by the Marin Agricultural Land Trust.


Kosher; 100% of the land is certified organic, but their products are not certified

Animal Husbandry Practices

The Giacominis’ Holstein cows are pasture-fed seasonally and silage-fed the remainder of the year. 40% of the cattle’s feed is grown on the farm (grass and silage); the other 60% is sourced from nearby farms. Whey is recycled as liquid feed for the cattle. Cows are never administered hormones and are administered antibiotics only when they are ill (in which case their milk is not used for a period). The herd is a closed herd.


Raw and aged manure and compost are used to build the soil.

Water Use

Dam water, sprinkle irrigation; cow manure is recycled into irrigation of fields.

Weed Control

Hand and machine cultivation.


Raw and aged manure and compost are used to build the soil.

Fun Fact

The Giacominis are a third-generation Marin ranching family.


Point Reyes Station, California


CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) is dedicated to growing thriving communities through the power and joy of local food. Learn More »